You're never too small to make a difference
Are your pupils interested in the natural world? Engage with your pupil’s interest and put nature and wildlife officially on your academic agenda.
Wildlife is in freefall both locally and nationally and we need many, many more people on nature’s side if we are to tip the balance in favour of nature’s recovery.
Cheshire Wildlife Trust are asking schools, as the heart of every community, to lead the way and join a network of Wilder Schools, identifying themselves as a school community that want to make a positive difference to the natural world.
What will it mean to be a Wilder School?
Your school community will receive:
- Membership to part of a new community of Wilder Schools taking action for wildlife
- Priority booking for visits to our sites
- Priority booking for our educational day visits to you
- Invitations to webinar INSETs for school staff on establishing connections with nature, and using the natural world confidently to inspire and promote engagement in the core curriculum
- An invitation to join a social media support network for teachers linking National Curriculum objectives to the natural world
- Invitations to school competitions
- Teaching resources to weave education on the natural world into your schools lessons.
How will our school become a Wilder School?
To become a Wilder School for 2021-22 your school is asked to complete one small task and share it.
Children’s Task: Take the Children’s Nature Pledge.
We are asking for each child to draw around their hand and write their pledge to act for nature this year. This could be one class, key stage or a whole school commitment to Go Wilder! And make space for the natural world. See the Wilder Schools 2021 virtual assembly for ideas.
Adult’s Task: Take the Grown-up's Pledge!
All school adults have a wonderful and powerful responsibility to inspire children and lead action in a time of wildlife populations locally, nationally and globally in dramatic decline. We are asking Teachers, Lunchtime Organisers, Caretakers, Head Teachers, Governors of the school and any other adult who works in school to Take the Pledge – what will yours be?
Could your pledges become part of a Team Wilder display? We’d love to see what you create!
Share your promises on social media with #cheshirewilderschools