Know before you go
Please use the footpaths when walking in the reserve.
The mere can be viewed from Delamere Road (by The Carriers Inn) and the remainder of the reserve is accessed via a footpath off Ashton Road in the village, just as you enter the forest.
When to visit
Opening timesOpen at all times
Best time to visitMarch to September
About the reserve
Hatchmere is one of a series of lakes and peatlands across the North-West formed by the glacial action at the end of the last Ice Age, and part of the Northwest Midlands Meres and Mosses Ramsar site, a wetland site of international importance.
The mere is home to many birds including the beautiful great crested grebe. Reed bunting and willow warbler also nest among the common reed and lesser reed mace that almost encircle the mere. As well as the mere itself, our nature reserve includes the surrounding fens, wet woodland and wet heath. Up to 13 species of dragonfly and damselfly having been recorded on the reserve, including the rare hairy dragonfly and the variable damselfly.
To the west of the mere the Trust has cleared large amounts of birch to enhance the wet mossland vegetation. Here there are heather, bilberry, cotton grass and sphagnum mosses. There are deep boggy pools hidden in the vegetation, so it is as well to keep to the path and watch where you put your feet.
- No inflatables are permitted of any kind.
- No boating is permitted unless by prior written agreement from Cheshire Wildlife Trust (e.g. for surveys).
- No camping.
- All litter must be taken away with you.
- Open fires are not permitted, all disposable barbeques must be allowed to burn cool and removed from site. Ashes must not be left behind.
- Fishing is only permitted for members of Prince Albert Angling Society and is only permitted from the platforms.
- Platforms and private areas are only to be accessed my members of Prince Albert Angling Society.
- Please park responsibly and do not park on the grass. Do not block driveways or roads. If parking spaces are full then additional parking is available in the laybys on Ashton Road which is less than 5 minutes walk away.
- The Carriers Inn car park is for patrons only.